Do you know what is in your daily skincare? Most over-the-counter skincare products are not as clean as you might think. Added toxic ingredients are absorbed by your skin and can lead to increased aging over time and the development of symptoms and chronic disease.
Let’s look a little deeper …
According to the EWG (environmental working group) there are chemicals that should be banned from our skincare and other toilet tree products but are commonly found such as…
- Formaldehyde, a known carcinogen.
- Paraformaldehyde, a type of formaldehyde.
- Methylene glycol, a type of formaldehyde.
- Quaternium 15, which releases formaldehyde.
- Mercury, which can damage the kidneys and nervous system.
- Dibutyl and diethylhexyl phthalates, which disrupt hormones and damage the reproductive system.
- Isobutyl and isopropyl parabens, which disrupt hormones and harm the reproductive system.
- The long-chain per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances known as PFAS, which have been linked to cancer.
- M- and o-phenylenediamine, used in hair dyes, which irritate and sensitize the skin, damage DNA and can cause cancer.
What?? Formaldehyde is in our skincare products??? Isn’t formaldehyde used to preserve deceased bodies?? Yes and Yes.
Other chemicals that can be found in our skincare products are things like:
- mineral oil – which comes from petroleum, the same type that is used to make gasoline.
- coal tar – which is tar
Are you seeing why these products may cause some hormone and endocrine disruption in our bodies! I sure do!
Why does this matter?
These are products we use on a daily basis. That means low dose daily exposure slowly filling up our toxic cup. Once our toxic cup is full it tends to spill over into our organs like our liver, kidneys, blood vessels, and we end up with symptoms and disease.
One thing I talk to my patient’s about all the time is decreasing their toxic exposures at home. This can be achieved through eating organic, wild caught, free range food, using clean cleaning products and clean topical body care products. These are some things you can do and control in your own home to reduce your toxic exposure.
What Skincare products are good for your skin:
Keep it simple! Keep it simple with the ingredients in the products you use on a daily basis. Look for products that have known natural ingredients.
- Oleic Pau Mulato – extracted from the bark of the Pau Mulato tree, Oleic Pau Mulato has been shown to have antioxidant properties and reduce inflammation in the skin 2
- Squalane oil – A natural lipid used to control skin oil and protect you skin from external stressors3
- Pracaxi Oil – This oil has anti inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties… doesn’t get much better than that!4
- Niacinamide – Used to improve skin tone and texture. It is also often used to prevent acne5
- Allantoin – Extracted from the comfrey plant, Allantoin is used to help keep your skin moisturized.
- Vitamin E – A powerful antioxidant in the skin shown to help reduce UV damage in the skin.
- Andiroba Oil – Everyone loves collagen and this oil has been shown to induce collagen synthesis
- Hyaluronic acid – This powerhouse molecule comes in many shapes and sizes: Ultra low, low and infinite molecular weight. All these molecules are able to penetrate different layers of the skin to improve skin hydration1
Will these natural products help with anti-aging?
Absolutely! Especially when combined with a healthy lifestyle. At Wave on Wave Health we have partnered with Oneskin to provide our clients with a safe, effective skincare line that uses the power of natural oils, hyaluronic acid and proprietary peptides to reverse skin’s biological age at the molecular level.