There are many procedures advertised for facial aesthetics. How do you choose which is right for you?? It really depends on what you are looking for…clean products? Immediate results? Long-lasting results or quick fix? Natural vs synthetic skincare?
And what are your aesthetic goals?
At Wave on Wave Health we strive to create a harmonious balance between inner wellness and outer beauty because these two elements are oh so connected! We use the principles of functional medicine and combine those with artistry of aesthetics to bring our clients optimal results that last.
Is a PRP facial right for you? Let’s dive in!
A BIO-Facial or A PRP (Platelet-Rich Plasma) facial, also known as a “vampire facial,” involves using a patient’s own blood, and specifically their platelets, combined with microneedling to rejuvenate the skin. Here’s how it typically works:
- Blood Extraction: A small amount of your blood is drawn, usually from your arm, similar to a regular blood test.
- Separation: The blood is then put into a centrifuge to separate the platelet-rich plasma from other components of the blood. At Wave on Wave Health we use PureSpin PRP to obtain ultra concentrated platelets.
- Application: The platelet-rich plasma, which is rich in growth factors and proteins, is then applied to your face either through microneedling, which creates tiny channels and injuries to the skin to allow for penetration of the ultra concentrated platelets. These tiny micro-channels or injuries also stimulate the production of collagen and elastin to heal the affected tissue which results in wrinkle reduction, smoothing of skin tone and texture, and lifting of the skin.
- Rejuvenation: The growth factors in the platelets provide an extra boost of collagen and elastin production, cell turnover, and tissue regeneration, improving skin texture, tone, and elasticity.
What are the benefits of a PRP facial?
PRP facials offer several benefits for the skin. PRP facials are often used to address signs of aging, such as fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, acne scarring and overall skin rejuvenation.
Let’s take a look!
- Collagen and Elastin Production: Platelet-rich plasma contains growth factors that can stimulate collagen production, which helps improve skin texture and elasticity, reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Skin Rejuvenation: PRP can promote cell turnover, leading to fresher-looking skin and a more even skin tone.
- Reduced Scarring: PRP is known to improve the appearance of acne scars or other types of scars due to the regenerative properties of PRP.
- Natural Process: Since PRP uses the patient’s blood, it’s considered a more natural treatment. There is no risk of allergic reaction to your own blood! There is minimal – no risk of infection as well.
- Minimal Downtime: Compared to more invasive procedures, PRP facials generally have minimal downtime. Patients will leave the office with a sunburned appearance to their skin which will take 1 – 3 days to fully resolve, followed by a potential flaking of the skin (this is individualized). The entire healing process can take anywhere from 3-7 days.
- Customization: A PRP facial or microneedling with PRP can be done with or without PRP injections. PRP injections or BIO-Filler injections can be done on the same day. BIO-Filler injections are a natural filler and can be injected all over the face for enhanced rejuvenation.
- Long-Term Results: While individual results may vary, a PRP Facial can last anywhere from 6 –18 months. The results continue to happen for weeks to months following the initial procedure!
Does the PRP facial procedure hurt?
Prior to the procedure a pharmaceutical grade numbing cream is applied to the skin. This greatly reduces or eliminates any pain from the microneedling device. Most patients report minimal to no pain during the procedure.
How long does it take to see the results of a BIO Facial?
The full effect of the facial can take a few weeks to months. The BIO Facial is stimulating cell turnover and regeneration which takes time. It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle for optimal results.
Is there a pre-procedure prep?
Yes! You will want to avoid any medications that are anti-inflammatory such as medications like ibuprofen, advil, motrin (NSAID’S) or aspirin for one week prior to the procedure. Always check with your physician to see if you can stop these medications. As well as supplements like curcumin, fish oil and ginger as these tend to reduce inflammation and thin the blood as well. It is important to eat a healthy diet, hydrate, and get good rest for optimal results. IF you have a history of cold sores it is also important to notify the office prior to the procedure for pre-treatment.
Healthy skin starts on the inside
I talk about gut health and toxins A TON and with good reason. Toxins wreak havoc on our guts and our guts are where we digest and absorb our nutrients so our not only our cells function as they should but an imbalanced microbiome equals an imbalanced skin microbiome. The microbiome plays an important role in a wide variety of skin disorders. Not only is the skin microbiome altered, but also surprisingly many skin diseases are accompanied by an altered gut microbiome. Dysbiosis in the skin and/or gut microbiome is associated with an altered immune response, promoting the development of skin diseases, such as atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, acne vulgaris, dandruff, skin cancer and even accelerated aging1.
The ultimate wellness and antiaging package!
We offer a combination package that includes a wellness consult, comprehensive stool analysis, and 1 BIO-Facial. This package is the ultimate kick start to reaching your aesthetic and wellness goals! Get the package here – Healthy Inside and Out
Interested in learning more? Schedule a FREE consult here
- De Pessemier, B.; Grine, L.; Debaere, M.; Maes, A.; Paetzold, B.; Callewaert, C. Gut–Skin Axis: Current Knowledge of the Interrelationship between Microbial Dysbiosis and Skin Conditions. Microorganisms 2021, 9, 353. https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms9020353